Travis Martin - Associated Content

Sunday, July 1, 2007

Search for the Perfect Job

At some point in our lives we all take a step out of our comfort zone and begin searching for the perfect job. This may be your choice or you may be forced to look. Whatever the reason, you are out there in a very vulnerable state. You want, desperately, to make the right decision.

There are a number of avenues to explore when putting yourself out there. You can blindly mail out resumes to every company you have ever dreamed of working for (not usually the best approach). You can walk in unannounced and ask to fill out an application (okay if you are looking for part time job, not a career). You may use the tried and true method of scanning the help wanted ads in your local paper. Many people are even placing video resumes on the internet. My favorite approach has been the online job search sites.

In my life I have had twelve different jobs. Some of them were when I was young (I am not counting mowing lawns and washing cars as a kid). Some of them I have held for numerous years. In the past few years I found myself looking for the next step in my career. I have searched through nearly all of the methods discussed earlier and found the job search sites to be the most effective. This definitely took some adjustment time, though.

My three favorites are Monster, Career Builder and Hot Jobs. When I first began searching these sites I found a number of "great" opportunities. I can work from home and earn $5000 a month part time? WOW! I can join the fastest growing company in the fortune 500? Incredible! You want me to be an Account Executive? Unbelievable! Earn $1500 a week take orders over the internet? I can do that!

These were the majority of "offers" I found in my search. Some are so well done, I even fell for a couple of them myself. After a little time, though, I began to recognize the scam offers from the real ones. I utilized the tools on these sites to polish my resume and then applied to the positions that interested me . As a result, I got a number of interviews as well as job offers. As a matter of fact, I still work for one of those companies today. I also do contract work for another.

You may be one of the lucky few and find a great job in no time flat. The rest of us have to remember to be patient and use all available tools in our search. Just don't get caught up in the lure of easy money. They nearly never work out. Most people who have a good income work hard to achieve it. Keep that in mind and you should find the perfect job for you.

T

No comments: