Travis Martin - Associated Content

Sunday, September 23, 2007

Bees in the Trees

This morning I decided to step out onto the deck behind my house and enjoy the somewhat cool air we were experiencing. I was unlocking my door when I noticed something unusual. There was a large moving mass in the tree just beyond my deck. I wasn't sure what it was at first, then I realized it was a bee swarm.

My wife and I were fascinated by the bees. We had never seen such a thing in person before. Being the genius that I am, I decided we should take a picture of it.

First my daughter tried to take it through the glass door. This did not turn out so well. I then took matters into my own hands. I went out onto the deck, got the camera lined up and snapped the picture, then ran back inside. The picture was good but too far away. This time I got closer but still not close enough. Finally I went all the way to the furthest edge of the deck and stretched my arm out as far as I could. I had it lined up perfectly when a bee flew right into my face. I did the only thing I could do. I waved my hand in front of my face quickly like a girl to keep the bee away. It worked! I lined the camera up one more time, ignored the bees bumping into my arms and body and took the picture. It was the best I was going to get. Click on the picture in the upper right corner for a closer look. Not bad if you ask me.

Now I am wondering how I will get rid of them. I am going to give them a couple of days first and see if they leave on their own. What could they possibly want to stay in my tree for? It is just a pecan tree. No flowers or anything of bee interest. If waiting doesn't work, I guess I'll have to become more proactive and have them removed. There's no way I'm going to do it myself though, I'll hire a pro. One or two bees I can handle. Hundreds, maybe thousands? No thanks.

T

No comments: